Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Myrtle's Apricot Bread

Well, I did promise you last week that I had some baking comin' right up! Last Saturday my girlfriend Tami took me out to Myrtles for my birthday. That day there were two gals who happened to be doing a book signing for their release of the 2nd edition of Northwest Tea Rooms. I got to meet the author and have her sign the book! I also had Elizabeth (the proprietor of Myrtles) sign as well. She signed on the page that listed her tea room. In the back of the book they have various recipes from various tea rooms and Elizabeth listed her famous Apricot bread recipe (at end of post). She serves this deliciously with cream cheese in between two small pieces. This is one of my favorite tea sandwiches!








Quincy: God, there she goes again, baking, baking, baking. I have her to blame for my weight problem. Now I have to go to Katty Kraig's to lose weight! I'm just gonna sit out here on the deck so I don't have to smell it all and be tempted. She's just an evil baker!

Here I am with the author of Tea Room's Northwest, Sharron deMontigny. Sharron has also put out a first edition that you can still get at Amazon. The book is so informative and including recipes is a great addition! She also has her own website called Tea Time Adventures. Definitely check the site out. It's so fun! Next to her on the far right is Cyrilla Gleason. Cyrilla is a trained and certified Tea Etiquette Consultant and director of All About Tea. She teaches about the history of tea as well as proper etiquette. She can come to your home, you can go to her home, have it at a tea house, etc. Tami and I will definitely have a class with her! I think we have the whole tea thing down but sometimes a spoon goes flying across the room or our elbows hit the table. Now I know that's definitely not a part of tea etiquette. LOL! If you're interested and live in the Northwest, feel free to contact her at Cyrilla4tea@yahoo.com.

Here's the recipe everyone! It's wonderful with cream cheese spread. :)


Apricot Bread
(Myrtles Tea House, Ridgefield, Washington)

1/2 cup dried apricots
1 cup water
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 cup sugar
2 Tbsp. butter, melted
2 cups flour
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup orange juice
1 cup chopped walnuts

In saucepan combine apricots and water. Bring to a boil and boil for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and cover for 20 minutes. Drain and chop. Combine apricots, eggs, sugar and melted butter. Combine, in separate bowl, flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients just until combined. Stir in water and orange juice. Add nuts. Bake in loaf pan at 350% for 1 hour or until done. When it is done - cool, slice and serve with cream cheese.

This recipe courtesy of Elizabeth Brush of Myrtles Tea House

This bread is fantastic with tea, hot or cold!

Enjoy gals!

Also! Don't forget to enter my Summer Giveaway! Deadline is June 15th.

19 comments:

soulchocolate@hotmail.com said...

Yummo!!!! Your apricot bread looks fabulous, so light and fluffy- that's a recipe I definitely want to try! Thanks for that. Good to know you girls are having such big fun!

Moonspinner said...

Oh thankyou it looks delish ... I did'nt expect to see Quincy in the middle of the recipe ... too funny!xx

Maggi said...

That looks so good! And anything with cream cheese on it is okay in my book! lol How exciting you got to meet her and have the book signed! Let us know if you take those classes, that sounds like so much fun!

vintage at heart said...

Tea and fresh apricot bread??!!.... I'll be right over!!!

TeresaR said...

I don't know what made me more delighted: the beautiful apricot bread you made (and the recipe) or the uber cute pic of Quincy! What a nice way to start my morning on Thursday. :)

Nooo, Quincy, you'll never have to go to Katty Kraig! I'll hide you if need be. ;D

the ungourmet said...

Your bread looks mighty delicious! I love apricots in things!

Your kitty is kind of apricot colored too. :0)

Tulip Bliss said...

Looks like you're having a great time!!!

Randi Troxell said...

oh i bet is was wonderful... and quincey is sooo gorgeous!

fiberdoodles said...

Oh I love cookbooks so I will definitely check this out. The bread looks and sounds wonderful! I am so glad you had a good time and shared it with us!

Quincy's not overweight; just pleasantly plump ;)

Sharon

Diane @ Four Paws and Co said...

Yummm, I love apricots in anything & this looks sooo delicious! I also love tea rooms. Thanks for the recipe & link! ☺ Diane

Heather said...

how cute! i love that photo of the 3 of you. that bread sounds heavenly and with a cup or pot of tea, Mmmm!

Anya said...

Hi Quincy
How are you :)
You are looking great
with your many fur......... LOL
purrss & noiselicks to all
Kareltje =^.^=

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog.
I just posted the last Disney post....
Hope you will enjoy it.
Stop by when you have some time.
I love all my new blog friends. I love apricot bread.....

Lisa said...

Sounds delicious!

Donell said...

Quincy is very handsome! And the recipe is drool-worthy too.

hippiedog said...

LOL that picture of Quincy is cracking me up! What a darling one :) Yummy bread too!

The Blonde Duck said...

I wish I could just come stay at your house for awhile. It seems so wonderful!

Ronda said...

Good Mornin sweetie,

I have a little gift for you over on my blog. I would love for you to stop by and pick it up. :)

Have a peachy keen day!

Love & Prayers,
Ronda

ladycascadia said...

Very interesting entry. I know Sharron personally. She's not only a tea expert par excellance, she's also a very delightful person to be around! So glad to see her get some good publicity in your wonderful blog.

Sabrina Messenger