Saturday, April 16, 2011

Homemade Granola!

Where has time gone?! I swear the older I get the faster time flies. About a week ago my best friend, Susan and I made tons and tons (and I mean tons) of homemade gluten-free granola bars. What we did was find a basic recipe and made variations with the goodies that we added. It was so much fun and by the end we were having a grand 'ole time and drinking some wine. We ended up with tropical granola bars, cherry almond granola bars, Almond Joy granola bars, and even one called TMW granola bars (Too Much Wine granola bars).




OMG these dried cherries were to die for! I could eat them just as a snack alone!





Time for wine...


The wine miraculously gave me super fast stirring powers!




And voila...the yummy, hearty, gooey goodness...

And our basic granola recipe:

Dry ingredients:

1 1/2 cups Gluten Free Rolled Oats
1/2 cup Gluten Free Oat Flour
Any filling you desire!

Wet ingredients:

1/4 cup Molasses
1/4 cup Honey
1/4 cup Peanut Butter
2 Tb Fruit Juice (your choice
1 Tb Vegetable Oil

Okay so Susan is the mad scientist when it comes to recipes and tweaking and changing and perfecting. So, she figured out that for this recipe we use 3c + 3 tbs dry ingredients to 3/4c + 3tbs wet ingredients. So, whatever is in the list of dry ingredients, just make sure it equals the 3c + 3 tbs and whatever wet ingredients you desire make sure it equals 3/4c + 3 tbs. Does that make sense? :)

Anyway, it worked for us! They were delicious...and now I have one hundred pounds of granola to last me the year. When the wine started flowing, we couldn't stop making. LOL!


P.S. Sorry about the spacing issues on this post. I get so frustrated with pictures and spacing. Am I the only one with this problem or am I the only one that doesn't know the secret? :)

8 comments:

Tracey said...

I am so going to make these granola bars.. we spend so much money on them for my husband..this seems healthier and better for you!! Hope all is going well Michelle, I'm so happy that you seem to really be enjoying life right now!! Hugs to you!

Lisa said...

I'm going to try this recipe, Michelle. I tried making granola before and it was TERRIBLE! I don't know what I did wrong. Keep your fingers crossed for me.LOL!

Teresa Robeson said...

You must have read my mind! Hubby was just remarking that we need to make our own granola bars and I put "look up granola bar recipe" on my to-do list. Thank you, sweetie! Glad you had so much fun making them too! xo

Rue said...

These look super yummy! And yes - things totally go better with wine!

Glad you had a fun day with your friend. Cheers!

Elaine said...

Those sound and look yummy! I'd like mine with cranberries please.

I love to make parfaits with yogurt, fruit, and granola. It's great as a starter for brunch.

Unknown said...

Yummy!!!!! I want some

Unknown said...

Thanks so much for the recipe, the perfect time of the year!

Cheers!

Connie

Sara's Sweet Surprise said...

Michelle~so nice catching up with you. Looks like I've timed it perfectly for a peek at your sweet treats. I think these will be much more delish then what I've found in a box. I think the wine will be a must for me while preparing this recipe too.

Happy be-lated wishes to the birthday boy. Give him a big kiss and squeeze from another one of his secret admirers...my kitty Angel ( and me too).
Sweet wishes,
Sara