Sunday, April 19, 2009

A Perfect Sunday and an Award!

The cherry blossoms are blooming!

Today was just beautiful! I don't know how else to describe the weather we had today. Everyone was out and about enjoying the sun and warm weather. Today my friend Bryan and I did some walking around downtown to see a few things. First off, I'm a little upset because I lost a couple of pictures I took of a store he took me to (because he knew I would love it) called Not Too Shabby in Washington. Ohmigosh, I walked in and I was in shabby chic Heaven! I did buy something but a little something but I will show you in my post tomorrow. I want to take a picture of it while the sun is out and it got a little late (because I had taken a long nap from today's exercise). Lol!

First, we had lunch at a place called Old Town Pizza. Supposedly it's haunted. The building is very old. Built in the 1880's it was originally a Merchant Hotel that two lumbar barons built catering to Portland's finest patrons. Underneath the restaurant are the Shanghai Tunnels where they used to nab unsuspecting sailors and transport them to ships docked on the river. The ghost that haunts this restaurant is named Nina.

"As legend goes, one of the young “working women” was Nina, sold into this life by a thriving white slavery market. In an effort to clean up the neighborhood, traveling missionaries convinced Nina to share information in exchange for freeing her from a fate she did not choose. Nina cooperated but soon afterward was found dead in the hotel, now Old Town Pizza. Thrown down the elevator shaft, Nina is reported to have never left the building. Could it be Nina who carved her name in the brick of the old elevator shaft, now the backdrop of a cozy booth in the rear of the restaurant?" The cozy booth is where Bryan and I had lunch. :)

Here are a few pictures of the inside of the restaurant.


The back of the menu describes the history and the hauntings.

Can you imagine how old these bricks are?

The pizza we ordered was called The Dragonlady. It was a vegetarian pizza and it was fabulous! The crust was my favorite part. It was very buttery. I love that!

After lunch we walked over to Saturday Market. It was busy! I got the kids a little something here. You'll see them at the bottom of this post and I'm sure you will know what I got them. Lol!

Although this wasn't in our plan, we walked over to the Chinese Gardens and decided to check it out! These gardens are smack dab in the middle of downtown Portland but when you enter, it's as though you've entered another world. A very zen-like world. This is a mix of pictures Bryan and I both took. :)


This is a little tea house inside the gardens where you can have a nice light meal.

The flowers that were in bloom inside the gardens were incredible!


They had a thing going on today about making Chinese kites. I tried my hand at it. :)

Inside one of the exhibits. Isn't this Chinese lantern cool?

Can you guess what I got these guys?

Oh yes! Oh yes!

Must....have....some....

Quincy was just beside himself.

Oh yea!

Yummmm.....this stuff smells great! I feel euphoric, no high, no euphoric!

More! More! I can't get enough! I'm in love!

And because I am such a good mom to get these guys their high Anya over at Kareltje en Ikke! has graciously passed out this award to all the cat mommy's out there. You know I'm a good cat mommy if I get my cats high! Thank you, Anya!!!

Hope you all had a great weekend. I know I did!

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

All Vogue patterns,like
Nike shoes Adidas shoes ,Air Jordan 2009 shoes and Fendi

Chanel Burberry Louis Vuitton LV Prada D&G Gucci

Juicy Couture handbag ,are selling at a surprise price !Now

,i will

give you the website: http://www.vogmall.com/
Fendi Chanel Burberry Louis Vuitton LV Prada D&G Gucci

Juicy Couture handbag ,free international express expense !

Anya said...

Great weekend you had :)))
Lovely shots from the Cats :)
Quincy steals the show, he played very funny !!!
The CatMum award you are deserved, you are a very special and very good CAT MOM ^_____^

AndreaLeigh said...

great pictures. that restaurant sounds like so much fun!

Lisa said...

Your pizza pictures are making me hungry! And what a fabulous garden. How did the kite turn out? Can't wait to see your little happy tomorrow!

Shelby said...

awesome pictures in a fantastic place! Portland is a fave place.. love the music here on your blog..cheers :)

Kathleen said...

Michelle, you live in a wonderful city. So much to do and see, and so much history. I only wish we had half the charm here where i live. The food looks so yummy, and the asian gardens were to die for. I long for outdoor marketplaces, flea markets, and farmers markets. Congrats on your award...your fur babies have the very best Mom. Hope your week is fantastic! Hugs, Kathleen

Unknown said...

This was a fun post to read. I felt like I was enjoying Portland right along with you.

Caroline said...

That looks like a marvelous restaurant! I love the Chinese gardens, did you make a nice kite? Portland truly looks like a fun town, markets are always great!
BTW, there is nothing like a bit of catnip to get the kids excited!

Pam said...

Yesterday was beautiful and today is supposed to be just as nice - love it.

I've been to that pizza joint and really enjoyed the atmosphere and pizza. Saturday market is a great place, especially to people watch and of course the Chinese gardens is an amazing place. It sounds like the perfect day.

Heather said...

what a fun day! love the pizza place and the gardens. my kind of day right there!

LuLu Kellogg said...

What wonderful pictures! The fur babies look so sweet with their new treats!

Hope you have a wonderful week :)

LuLu~*

Janet said...

Great post sis! I love the cat pictures - they're definitely stealing the show! You deserve the cat award absolutely! Congrats:)

Zaroga said...

What a wonderful day you had! You are a Wonderful Cat Mom!

Anonymous said...

You ARE the most wonderful mom, and your kitties are the most beautiful spoiled babies I've ever seen! LOL!

What a wonderful day you had! The Chinese Garden looks a lot like the Dr. Sun Yat Sen Chinese Classical Garden in Vancouver that I used to work at as a docent (1986...yikes!). Really gorgeous!

soulchocolate@hotmail.com said...

Such pretty pictures of cherry blossoms in bloom and Chinese gardens! What a great way to spend the weekend!

Joy said...

Wow,you did have a great weekend--I'm happy for you, but jealous! That outdoor fair would have been such fun. I'm guessing you got the kitties catnip? Looks like they love it. I had to laugh about you saying how great it is to forget that your ordered something. Oh, and the photo of the cherry tree---beautiful.

Cat with a Garden said...

What a wonderful weekend! Quincy is that toy filled with catnip? You guys looks pawsome bunnykicking it!
Purrs, Siena & Chilli